Pakistan And Bangladesh Kick Off Premier South-Asian Championship    Daniel Vettori And Dean Brownlie Restored New Zealand's First Innings Disgraced Pakistan Players Salman Butt And Mohammad Amir Lost Their Appeals Pakistan Remained Undisturbed And Focused Despite The Corruption Scandal Amazing performance Pakistan won by 9 wickets In 2nd Test Dubai McLaren Boss Martin Whitmarsh Is Pinning Some Of The Blame

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Nathan Cleverly targets unification bout against Beibut Shumenov

 
Nathan Cleverly will target a unification bout with WBA title-holder Beibut Shumenov after his victory over Tony Bellew on Saturday.
Cleverly's dream clash with Bernard Hopkins fell through after the American lost his WBC title on the same night.

But Cleverly did not rule out a rematch with Bellew following their epic encounter at the Liverpool Echo Arena.

"I'd like a unification fight with Shumenov, but a rematch could happen," said the 24-year-old.

Welshman Cleverly successfully defended his WBO light-heavyweight belt against Liverpudlian Bellew on Saturday.

"I knew this was going to be one of my hardest fights," he said.

"Aside from all the hype during the build-up, Tony is one of the hungriest fighters in boxing and one of the best trainers out there.

"He put everything on the line and had a massive crowd behind him, cheering every shot he threw.

"I showed a lot of courage coming to Liverpool, it was very risky. I didn't have to take the fight, I had other options.

"But I thought if I want true respect as a world champion then I had to take on a dangerous challenger in his home town and I wanted to give the fans the fight they wanted to see."

Few believed British and Commonwealth champion Bellew, 28, stood a chance against Cleverly, who was unbeaten in 22 fights before Saturday and was making the second defence of his crown.

However, the previously unbeaten Bellew played his part in a contender for fight of the year, soaking up a huge amount of punishment while coming back with plenty of bombs of his own.

And while he had no arguments with the decision, Bellew felt the defeat could lead to bigger and better things down the line.

"I've grown tonight and I'll learn tonight," he said. "This is far from the end for me.

"I take heart from Nigel Benn coming back after being stopped by Michael Watson and fighting the fighters he did. He's an idol of mine, and if he can do it, there's no reason I can't.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | WordPress Themes Review